Creating a relaxing and comfortable outdoor seating area is a great way to expand the living space of your home. In Southern Oregon, we’re fortunate to have fabulous weather, with an average of 205 sunny days every year. If you’re looking at your backyard and wondering where to start, our team has put together a handful of helpful tips to get you started down the path of designing your perfect space.
- Where should the seating area be located? Not all relaxation zones need to be right outside the sliding glass doors. While it’s common to build an affixed deck or porch and cover it with a fixed or retractable awning, many other options are available. Consider where the light hits different areas in your yard. Ideally, a flat parcel of land unencumbered by large trees will be the easiest to work with. Shade can be added anywhere with a free-standing pergola and fixed or retractable awning.
- Blend with nature. From the choice of structural materials to the type of outdoor furniture you purchase, the most comfortable outdoor seating areas complement their natural surroundings. Consider using natural stones for patio flooring, planter boxes, and water features.
- Extend the indoors to the outdoors. Think about the style and decor you use inside your home to create a relaxing and inviting environment. Those same elements should follow you outside. Use the same color palettes, similar accessories and fabrics, and even framed prints within your outdoor seating area.
- Add plant life. Whether you prefer green, leafy vegetation, or the bright colors of blooming flowers, plants are a great way to add life to your oasis. Of course, planter boxes and flower pots can sit on the ground or tables, but also consider adding structural hooks and nooks to your pergola to accentuate the beauty in your line of sight.
- Build a path. If your outdoor seating area is not affixed to your home, consider building a winding path to it. Add pathway lighting and foliage to draw your guests to your seating area.
- Add lights and sound. Today, it’s simple to add lighting and sound systems to outdoor spaces. Use lighting to create the mood you desire, while outdoor speakers provide soothing calmness for relaxation.
- Give your guests the perfect blend of sun and shade with a retractable awning. Commonly, retractable awnings are affixed to a home’s exterior, but they can also be constructed into a freestanding pergola for enjoyment in any part of your yard. Protect yourself from direct sunlight during the day’s heat, but allow yourself to enjoy the vast starry sky at night.
Ready to get started on building your dream outdoor seating area?
Retractable awnings are beautiful and functional. With the flip of a switch, homeowners can enjoy an evening under the stars or sit outside during a light rainstorm. With retractable awnings, you get the best of both worlds–avoiding the sun and heat during the summer while allowing the sun to stream into your windows as the temperatures cool down.
Plus, today’s retractable awnings come in a wide variety of fabrics to match the exterior look and feel of your home. At Deluxe Awning, we custom-produce all of our awnings using high-quality fabric that will stand the test of time.
Adding a retractable awning to your home is easy–all you have to do is give us a call at 541-488-1575. Our experienced team members will visit your home or business to help you decide on the right awning for your needs. Professional installers will ensure your awning is attached to your home securely, so you’ll be able to sit back and enjoy the outdoors for years to come. You’ll wonder why you’ve waited so long.