Sun-filled days and warm breezes at night make our backyards a popular place to spend time with friends and family. However, most of us have yards that back up to our neighbor’s property or are next to homes with windows that overlook our patios, pools, and entertaining spaces. Regardless of the situation, many techniques can be used to enhance the privacy of your backyard.
- Build a fence. Wood fences are one of the most common ways to create privacy and keep pets corralled. Construction costs can vary greatly depending on the availability of labor and current materials pricing, so getting a few estimates is critical before digging into the project. There may also be limits to the height and location of fences depending on local building codes and homeowner association rules.
- Plant a hedge. Hedges are a natural way to create visual privacy and reduce sound transmission. Using thick rows of arborvitae to minimize traffic noise is popular in neighborhoods that border busy roadways. The disadvantage is that it can take years for the plants to grow and fill in as needed for the privacy you want, and when a plant dies and turns brown, it must be replaced with a new, younger shrub.
- Use bamboo. Bamboo is a fast-growing and sustainable plant that is often used to add privacy to a yard. Bamboo shoots can spread uncontrollably if planted into the ground, so it’s best to use large planters or galvanized stock tanks to keep the growth manageable. Bamboo will grow to heights quickly and add shoots to thicken the layer of greenery.
- Add a pergola or fixed awning. Not only do these fixtures create shade and add to the beauty of your landscaping, but they also provide structure for privacy screens and curtains. If your neighbor has second-story windows that overlook your hot tub, a fixed awning with canvas covering will block the space from their view.
- Install a retractable awning. Retractable awnings are long-lasting structures that give homeowners the ultimate flexibility in creating shade, protection, and privacy in their backyards. With a touch of a button, a patio can be instantly covered from the sun’s bright rays and block the neighbor’s view of the space. With another change of the remote control, you can be sitting on the deck stargazing.
How do you select a fixed or retractable awning for your home?
The best way to add a retractable awning to your home is by contacting the professional team at Deluxe Awning Company. We’re a small family business that’s been serving Southern Oregon since 1982. From residential homes to large commercial buildings, our quality-crafted awnings protect local residents from sun, rain, snow, and hail throughout the region. Our team will come to your home to assess your needs and provide recommendations to meet your design style and budget. Give us a call or visit us in Ashland to get started creating your perfect outdoor space.