Retractable and fixed awnings both add incredible value and enjoyment to your home. With the right design, an awning will add significant square footage in living space to your outdoors and will perfectly complement the exterior of your home.
Well-built awnings constructed of quality fabric are relatively easy to maintain. Yet, it’s essential to take a few steps regularly to keep your awning looking like it did on day one. It’s a good idea to set yourself a task for early spring and fall to perform a few quick maintenance items on your awning.
Checklist to keep your awning in great condition:
- Use a soft broom to gently brush away all loose debris from the awnings. Clear off all the spiderwebs, pine needles, dust, and leaves that collect throughout the year.
- Make a gentle cleaning solution with a small amount of natural soap in lukewarm water and a soft brush to address any stains or dirty spots on the fabric. Avoid laundry detergent or other household cleaners as they can harm the threads and destroy the sunblock coating on the fabric. Rinse the awning well to remove any residual solution and then allow it to air dry. Use paper towels or shop cloths to gently absorb any pools of water, and avoid retracting the awning while wet.
- Ideally, create a monthly routine to quickly brush off the awning and hose off any dust and debris. A simple process will make semi-annual maintenance easier.
- Do not allow shrubbery or vines to grow on or across awnings. While the waterfall effect of a wisteria vine across an awning may look absolutely gorgeous, the weight can bend or destroy an awning’s frame, and the botanical material can stain and deteriorate the fabric. It’s best to add these landscape elements to structures built specifically for that purpose.
- Check the structure and gears. Regularly examine your awning frame to look for signs of rust or damage. At the same time, inspect the gear operations–whether manual or powered–to ensure the awning is working properly and all the pieces extend and retract correctly. Contact Deluxe Awning immediately to repair any issues as soon as they are discovered.
Quality retractable and fixed awnings from Deluxe Awning Company will give you decades of beauty and functionality.
If you have questions about cleaning your existing awnings or you’ve decided it’s time for a new set, give the professionals at Deluxe Awning Company a call today. We’re a small family business that’s been serving Southern Oregon for 39 years. We specialize in quality custom canvas awnings for homes and businesses, and we’re confident you’ll be wildly satisfied with the workmanship behind your new Deluxe Awning. Contact us today to learn how easy it is to add an awning to your doors and windows.